Monday, July 5, 2010

It's not the heat...

To close out the holiday weekend I joined Mom and Dad for dinner this evening. Today was the kind of day that had most of us holing up indoors—not because it was raining or anything, but because we had temperatures in the 90s with the kind of humidity where you feel like you're looking at the landscape though a dirty pane of glass. Let me put it to you this way: as I type this at 8:40 p.m., it's 80 degrees both outside and inside of my apartment.

Needless to say, the birds weren't feeling much more active than us humans. But while I was at Mom and Dad's I did manage to snag a few shots of some of the birds that mustered the energy to venture forth for a snack. To start things off, our old friends the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks:





A chickadee that stopped by for a drink at the fountain:



Mom and I both noticed how striking this female Cardinal looked in the afternoon sun:



Sitting on the feeder hook:



The male Cardinal stopped by a couple of times as well:



That light speck down and to the left of its beak is a bit of seed it sent flying as it ate:



Finally, I'd fear for my life the next time I had lunch with Sarah if I came away from a visit with my parents without any Kaylee pics to show for it. Between Kaylee's exertions yesterday and the heat today she wasn't into doing much beyond finding cool spots to lay down and trying to mooch cheese and crackers before dinner, but I was able to take a few photos while she reclined up on the hot tub cover:





Word has it tomorrow will be even hotter than today. Good times.

1 comment:

  1. Beatiful pictures - the male cardinal is the very definition of cardinal red. It's almost unreal.

    ReplyDelete