Thursday, May 13, 2010

Must be something in the water

When I got out of the car at work this morning I immediately heard a bird chirping very close by. I looked up at the roof of the office building, and quickly spotted the guilty party up on our weathervane. I only managed to take a single photo before it flew off, and by chance happened to catch it facing in the opposite direction as the arrow:



I stopped over at Howell's again this evening after I arrived back in Arlington. Initially, most of the waterfowl activity was taking place across the pond from me, so most of my pics were mediocre at best. However, in this one I managed to catch three birds in the same frame: two mallards and the kingfisher as it flew by:



A while later, while I was attempting to photograph one of the kingfishers, I noticed a ripple right at the pond's edge. However, the source of the movement was hidden by the cattails. I watched and waited, and then I finally saw them:



A closer look at the male hooded merganser:



A shot of the male with its crest partially expanded:



A few shots of the two together:



In this one the female was just resurfacing from a dive underwater:



As I watched, something swam past the duo toward the other side of the pond. I don't know for certain what it was, but I feel pretty confident from the way it swam that it wasn't a turtle:



Finally, a couple of reflections that caught my eye—in the first of the two, the gray bit just left of center is a wood duck:



And I just thought this one was pretty:

2 comments:

  1. The color and composition of the reflections in the water in these photos are very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mirrored profile of the bird contrasted with the horse on the weather vane! Don't you love serendipity?

    ReplyDelete