Monday, May 3, 2010

Duck Duck Goose 3: This Time It's Personal (grooming)

Lots of pictures today, so I'll get right to it.

When I arrived at the pond this evening, some wood ducks had moved from their usual spot across the pond to hang out closer to "my" side for a bit:





After a bit they began heading back over to the far shore, at which point I realized there were two pairs of a male and female each. This isn't a great shot, but it does feature three of the four:



Once the wood ducks had all retreated to their usual haunt, I turned my attention to the goose that was sitting very close to shore and engaged in some serious preening. It was hard narrowing down which shots I wanted to use, as it got into so many different and interesting poses—I definitely no longer question how gooseneck lamps got their name:









Reminds me of a dog using its hind leg to scratch itself:







Eventually it headed over to where the nesting goose was sitting, upon which they both took a spin around the pond to get something to eat:



I liked the look of the concentric rings spreading away from the goose:



I can't be absolutely certain, but I think these are some mergansers doing a flyover:



With this one, the colors and the way the ripples looked against the stalks poking out of the water was what caught my eye:



Finally, I really liked the way the sun backlit this tree:

1 comment:

  1. The last picture of the light through the tree is like a beautiful watercolor painting.

    ReplyDelete