Saturday, June 26, 2010

Another epic bird post?

Yup, must be Saturday. Or, more specifically, another Saturday spent at my folks' house...

As you can probably tell from the time stamp on today's post, it took me a little while to go through the photos I took today and figure out which ones I wanted to share. So, since I can feel my brain cells going into shutdown mode and I have to work tomorrow, there won't be a whole lot of text to accompany today's images.

Once again, I decided to start with Blue Jays—mostly because I really wanted to lead off with this photo:









It was a rainy afternoon here, but despite the weather the birds were rather active—especially the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Hairy Woodpeckers:





I managed to snag a couple of clear shots of a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak both from the front:



And from behind:





I hit the trifecta with this one: a male and female grosbeak on the feeder, and a juvenile coming in for a landing:



The woodpecker's position in this one amused me greatly:



A male Cardinal perched in Mom and Dad's Japanese willow:



And taking off:



This one caught my eye because of how the five birds are practically in a straight line across the frame:



That one male grosbeak put a whole new spin on the phrase "eating in":





One of the many House Wrens that currently occupy various bird houses around Mom and Dad's yard:





A robin's egg that unfortunately fell from the nest:



One of only two in-focus shots I managed to get of a chipmunk as it climbed around in a blue spruce:



And another chipmunk shot from later in the afternoon:



Today's Kaylee pictures were all taken as Mom fed her a piece of cheese while we enjoyed drinks and snacks before dinner. As you can see, she's very focused when it comes to cheese:



Sometimes Mom likes to make Kaylee work a bit for her treat, just to make sure she actually tastes the darn thing:



After the majority of it was gone, she had a bit of trouble getting that last little bit off of Mom's thumb:





However, you can rest easy in the knowledge that Kaylee remained diligent and focused on her mission, and was ultimately successful in making sure Mom's fingers were completely rid of any and all remaining cheese molecules. She's a trooper, that one...

2 comments:

  1. Those are amazing bird shots. Paul is all envy of your local birds, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The contrast between the cardinal and the willow tree is amazing!! Lovely pictures, Sara!

    ReplyDelete