Saturday, January 30, 2010

Baby, it's cold outside

As in -6.4° when I got up this morning. Upon seeing the temperature, I informed Kaylee that we would not be taking our usual 20-30 minute walk through the woods. Once we'd been out there, she wasn't inclined to argue.

On our second trip outside, it had gotten into positive numbers on the thermometer again, so I felt safe bringing my camera outside with me. As Kaylee took care of her business, I took care of mine. First up, a very distinct set of crow footprints:



As Kaylee continued to wander, I stood a few feet away from my parents' bird feeder, camera at the ready, and waited. After a minute or two of stillness on my part, the chickadees felt daring enough to start feeding again. It took me a few tries to get the camera to focus on the bird rather than the trees in the background, but I finally got the hang of it:



As I went through my pictures, I was absolutely delighted to discover I'd accidentally taken a much cooler image than I'd realized. Sometimes it really is better to be lucky than to be good, and capturing a departing bird along with the stationary one was most definitely a lucky shot:



Finally, today's Kaylee image; I took this when she was standing by the back door, hitting Greg full-force with her "please take me outside" stare:



Needless to say, it didn't take very long at all before he gave in.

3 comments:

  1. The birds are fantastic photos. And, Kaylee. . .. What can I say except Zak is in that exact same pose even as I type this. Amazin'. He's not staring however. He's falling asleep, having been outside just a short time ago. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures of Kaylee are so great. Haha Sara, maybe she should have her own blog. She could advise the rest of us on how to look good, how to get more treats, quickest way to unmake a bed, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shots of the birds. Whatever silliness it took to get them, keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete