Monday, November 8, 2010

Standing by

My brain is feeling so dead this evening I'm half expecting a priest to show up at my doorstep to perform last rites. So, a quick summation: I got out of work a little early today, and as I already had plans to join Mom and Dad for dinner I decided to just head on over to their place and use the extra time to take some photos.

Kicking things off, a Titmouse getting a drink:



I managed to catch the Titmouse on the right as it was climbing into the mesh feeder:



The two Titmice chowing down:




A Chickadee at the fountain:



And a Red-breasted Nuthatch with a group of Chickadees at the feeders:





As I sat in the blue chair going through the photos I'd taken to that point, Kaylee asked to go out. I took my camera with me, just in case, and somehow ended up standing a couple of yards away from the feeders. The birds kept on coming in despite my presence, giving me a chance to not only photograph them from a bit closer than usual but, because I was facing the house rather than the woods, from a different perspective as well:





I definitely want to try some more photography from the same spot again sometime in the future, as the gray and overcast day we were having once again required me to use a slower shutter speed than I'd have liked. So I had to hope birds like this Hairy Woodpecker would stay still long enough for me to get a few solid shots:



A Red-breasted Nuthatch and a Chickadee both triumphantly hold their seeds aloft:



On this occasion the nuthatch was apparently none too happy to see a Chickadee coming in to join it on the feeder:



Nor was this one:



And a couple of images of the Red-breasted Nuthatch that I thought came out pretty well:





No Kaylee pics today, I'm afraid. I did take a few, but I had the camera on the wrong setting—the resulting images were very... orange. Hopefully I'll be able to make up for it on my next visit to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment