Friday, January 20, 2012

Wagon wheel

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I was able to set up yesterday's and today's posts to automatically publish while I'm otherwise occupied. Last night's post was scheduled to make its debut about the time I was (I hope) catching some zzzzs before a 6:15 a.m. flight, and this one should go live while I'm somewhere over the Pacific.

This photo was taken in July, sometime during the afternoon golden hour if memory serves. I was driving home via a different route to avoid road work when I spotted a rusted wagon wheel against a red barn; needless to say, it immediately caught my eye. Making sure that the green grass was visible in the foreground, I took my pictures. Overall, I was pretty pleased with how it came out:


Just for the fun of it, I decided to play around with it a little in my imaging program. First, I decided to see what it would look like as a sepia image:


And now in black and white:


I think it's interesting how different aspects of the photo jump out at the viewer when seen in the different styles. Or at least that's how it is for me. The grass in the foreground seems much more detailed in the black and white version, for example, but barely even registers in the sepia pic. 

At any rate, I just figured it might be nice to offer something a little different before I flood the blog with vacation photos again.

No comments:

Post a Comment