Sunday, January 8, 2012

Kauai 2011 day 9: Little bit of everything

This was one of my "dear sweet merciful Zeus, why did I take so many pictures?" days. As a result, I've got a lot of photos to share, so I'll just get right to it.

First, a few shots from the place we were staying, starting with a tiki emerging from a tree trunk, crafted by noted Kauai carver Johnnie "Keoni" Durant.



A koi pond that sits just a few feet from the carving:



One of the pond's massive fish:



Going for one of those artistic shots here:



After breakfast, Dad and I headed over to the Kilauea preserve. I snagged a bunch of bird shots, starting with this fairly distant look at a Brown Booby:





A pair of Great Frigatebirds:



Slightly closer look at a Frigatebird:



A few Albatross pics:









A pair of photos of the White-tailed Tropicbird:





Looking at the back of a Red-footed Booby:



A group of Red-footed Boobys sharing a tree:



A look at some of the many Boobys hanging out on the opposite hillside:



And a wider look at the hillside that plays host to a multitude of birds:



An oddly smooth patch of water that caught my eye:



The island just off the lighthouse point; just off to the left of the island is the stretch of ocean where all of the whale photographs I've posted were shot:



Speaking of whales...





I photographed this Spotted Dove preening itself when Dad and I were having lunch at Bubba's:





On our way home, I thought I spotted a whale spout off Lumaha'i Beach and asked Dad to pull over; he was able to do so in the same area we usually park when we visit that end of the beach. I didn't see anything for several minutes, but just when I started to think I'd mistaken a wave for a spout, I saw not one but two spouts. As did the whale watchers in the boat that's in the left side of the shot:



Cropped-in look at one of the whales:



I then got treated to quite the display of both tail throwing:







And flippering:













And then on top of all of that, just a few hundred yards down the road is where I saw my first honu. All in all, not a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment