Friday, January 27, 2012

Kauai 2012: Grove Farm flowers

Today we took a tour of Grove Farm, a historic plantation with ties to my own family tree. It was an interesting and very informative day, during which I took several pictures both outside and when we were inside the various buildings. However, there's also a group of chickens and roosters that hang out around the house my folks are renting that have a propensity for crowing and clucking back and forth starting around 3 a.m., which means despite it being fairly early in the evening I find I'm about ready to crash for the night. I really want to do justice to the tour and what I learned, including double-checking some info and correcting the lighting on a few of the photos, so I'm afraid my post about our visit will have to wait until I've had more time to get my act together.

In the meantime, I also photographed a few of the flowers growing in various locales along the grounds; as they don't need much explanation or elaboration on my part, I figured I'd share those with you this evening instead:




Our tour guide told us that this flower is a Dutchman's Pipe.  From the side, it's not too difficult to figure out how it got its name:


When you open up the blossom, as our guide did, this is the sight that greets you:



One last flower for the road:


No comments:

Post a Comment