Sunday, January 11, 2015

Kauai 2014: day 11

Another huge post is required to cover this particular day, so I'll get right to it.

To start things off, a green anole I noticed out behind the house:




Working its way up a banana tree:





Couldn't resist this shot of it peeking over the edge of a leaf:


A few pics of some Mejiros:




Our yard also saw a visit from a Golden Plover, a bird that breeds in Alaska and Siberia and then winters on islands in the Pacific Ocean each year. 


As you can see, it snagged itself a worm:


Which it then dropped...


And picked up again:


Searching for more goodies to eat:




Scoring another morsel:


Albeit a bit smaller this time around:


One last look:


A female shama grabbing some twigs for a nest:


And resting in a nearby tree:



Down at the beach, we saw a Cattle Egret working a hedge in front of a house:


Later on, we spent some time at Tunnels Beach. Since it had turned into a nice day, I took some photos of the famous shoreline, featuring Mount Makana, better known to most as Bali Ha'i.



Panning across the horizon from my spot on the beach:



A couple of my favorite shoreline shots:



And a panorama view I stitched together from four separate photos:


As Mom and I walked back to the house, we came across this Cattle Egret working the foliage along the berm:


I liked how the shape of its head curves along the same line as the leaf:


Is it me, or do we now know what kind of bird the Velociraptors turned into?


Thankfully, it seems more interested in smaller prey these days:


Panting in the afternoon heat:




Yawning?


Or yelling about having hot feet?


Kind of it to pose for me, though:


And some more action shots that I couldn't choose between:







Finally, once again I wrap things up with some flower pics:




No comments:

Post a Comment