Saturday, January 10, 2015

Kauai 2014: day 10

Apparently, I find it impossible to resist photographing a shama when it's close by.


An excellent look at the white patch that gives the bird its name:


Seriously, how am I supposed to not photograph this bird when it poses for me?


After determining that the weather was a bit better in Kapaa, the three of us drove there for lunch at the Olympic Cafe.  While we were there, I photographed this happy Buddha with my phone:


 A closer look at the statue:



On the way back, we decided to check out a few of the beach areas, starting with Mo'ikeha Canal:



A couple of pics of the canal itself:



Looking back up the beach towards Kapaa:


A huge piece of driftwood that caught my eye:


Some flowers we spotted in the area:



Next stop was Kealia Beach. The view south, back towards Kapaa, was fine. And I liked how the piece of wood mirrors the landscape in the background:


But the view north is much more striking:


A closer look:


The exact same view as the last image, but with a bit of sunshine highlighting the outcropping:


Our final stop was the northern end of Lumahai Beach. I share this, in part, to help demonstrate how ubiquitous the wild chickens are:


And now the view we came for:


Panning across:


Looking toward the other end of the beach; those small dark rocks at the edge of the beach, about a third of the way over from the right, are the ones I was photographing on my previous visit:



As you can see, the beach has a fairly steep dropoff, courtesy of a recent tropical storm:


I loved watching the way the water came off the rocks:




Probably the biggest splash I photographed that day:


I really liked the layers of colors in this one:


More splashes:




One last wide look:


And finally, a few shots of the lagoon; it's a popular swimming spot, so I felt very lucky to be able to photograph it when it was empty:


Looking up toward the river:


And where it merges into the ocean:


No comments:

Post a Comment