Saturday, December 13, 2014

Kauai 2014: Day 3

Current goal is to get this year's vacation pics posted before I go on next year's. Let's see how that goes. As I recall, this was Super Bowl Sunday. So we started the day with a quiet morning at the house, during which I occasionally wandered outside to take a few photos. Starting things off, some Japanese white-eye shots:


I left this one pretty much as is, rather than cropping in on the bird, to help provide a better sense of the bird's size. And, in this case, how well it blends in with the foliage it's sitting in: 


Checking out a banana tree: 


A brown anole I happened to spot as I stood out on the lanai; love the curl in its tail: 


Later on, while at a good friend's house for his annual Super Bowl party, I got bored by the blowout the game turned into and went outside to try and photograph some birds instead. A Northern Cardinal obliged by landing on a banana leaf fairly close to where I stood: 


A Red-Crested Cardinal that didn't want to be left out of the fun:

 

These two didn't occupy the same leaf for very long:


After getting my host's permission, I put out some birdseed on the lanai railing, and it didn't take long to get results: 


I definitely got a couple of nice closeups out of it:


Caught a bit of a tiff as well:


One of the most entertaining aspects of feeding birds is watching the Java sparrows and zebra doves jockey for position along the railing: 

 

The zebra dove in the middle is practically standing on a Java sparrow's head:

 

And for my parting shot, a Java sparrow just peeking over the edge of a banana leaf: 

No comments:

Post a Comment