Sunday, December 28, 2014

Kauai 2014: day 5, part 1

Lots of pics this day, thanks to a return trip to Kilauea Lighthouse, so I decided to break it into two parts. First up, albatross:


I had to do some processing on this one, as the shadows were pretty bad in the original, but I wanted to share because of the drop of water at the tip of its beak:


They liked to soar around the point the lighthouse sits on, which provided ample opportunities for pictures. Getting a good shot that was in focus was a bit trickier; these were some of the better ones.




I liked the illusion of the beak seeming to come straight out of the body:


Mixing things up a bit, a frigate bird I only noticed just as it was going over my head:


A bit further out, this frigate bird did some preening mid-flight:




And then spotted something below that enticed it to dive:


Back to the albatross, a few of my better closeup shots: 






A red-footed booby cruising by:



And a brown booby:



Finally, to close things out, one of the most epic side-eyes I've ever been on the receiving end of:


No comments:

Post a Comment